Re: [F8] fingerprint scanner

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 18:23:48 +0000
Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Fingerprint is basically gimmickry. Easily fooled and you can't issue
people with new fingerprints, or in the unpleasant case - new fingers.

Ah, but if the Sarbanes-Oxley auditors will accept a fingerprint
scanner as a secure login, you won't have to change your password
so often that you leave it written down on a post-it and stuck
to your screen, so fingerprint scanners might actually be more
secure :-).

To defeat the "change your password" myth, google '"best practice" password security.' There's a paper I've turned up a couple of times, most recently in the past week, where a professor argues changing passwords regularly might have been a good idea 40 years ago, but not now. His argument seems good to me, and I've not changed my preferred password in over five years (and I've not disclosed it to anyone).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait