Re: Fan runs constantly on (Acer TravelMate 4602WLMi ) Please help me.

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 12:28:27 +0200
bravo_elf <bravo.elf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Tom,
>
> Friday, November 30, 2007, 8:24:59 PM, you wrote:
>
> >> My laptop's fan works almost constantly in Fedora 8.
> >>
> >> I've made some search and found this topic:
> >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=330917
>
> > If this is a new fedora 8 install, the pcscd service is on by default
> > and the pcscd daemon is busted and runs constantly sucking up as much
> > cpu as it can get. Perhaps it is the culprit, heating up the cpu and
> > making the fan need to run?
>

> Hi,
>
> So only thing I need to do is to turn it off?
> How?

As root run: /etc/init.d/pcscd stop

That will turn it off temporarily and you can see if the fan stops
after things cool down.

To permanently turn it off run (also as root):

chkconfig --level 2345 pcscd off

> How will it affect on my system? I mean not only the fan, perhaps it
> turns off some other of hardware?

The pcscd service has something to do with smart card readers.
Unless you have a smart card reader, you won't need it running.
(There are bunches of other services you probably don't need
as well, all taking up memory and cycles).

To see all the services do: chkconfig --list
To get hints about what they do: rpm -q -i -f /etc/init.d/<servicename>