Problems with NIS and automount on fedora8

I'm trying to bring up a machine on our network with fedora8.

The install went well, and it was working until we tried to tie it into NIS.

I did the prescribed edits to /etc/yp.conf, auto.master, nsswitch, etc. But can't seem to get things working. We have many RHEL4 and RHEL5 systems working just fine. I tried makeing these files exactly the same as those system, but still no go.

Currently the systems X11 greeter is no longer starting up (it was initially) - now it just hangs after everything appears to come up normally from a reboot.

Switching to single user mode...

I can ping systems on the network using IP addresses - no problem

Using hostnames w/ or w/o domain name is now finding the IP, but then generates the following messages:

# ping hostbar.domainfoo.com
PING hostbar.domainfoo.com (172,12.34.56) 56(84) bytes of data.
do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
64 bytes from hostbar.domainfoo.com (172.12.34.56): icmp_seq=1 ttl=254 time=0.470 ms

--- hostbar.domainfoo.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms

I saw some posts about do_ypcall ... RPC: Timed out. One mentioned the nscd, so I started that service, others pretty much sounded like syntax errors in config files, firewall, or bad cables.

I'm pretty sure I ruled out bad eth driver, cables, and connection since I can ping using ip address, and I can even connect via samba, using "user" authentication and ship files to the machine w/no problems or delays observed.

My IT guy is hapring on the fact that its a new fedora release and may not work on my hardware (drivers), or that another machine on the network has got the same IP as mine using DHCP (since our routers are losy).

So again the real issue is getting NIS to work. This is what my config is:

/etc/yp.conf:
ypserver 172.12.34.56 # this is the correct address of our yp server (same as other linux hosts on the network are using)
domain domainfoo.com broadcast # this is the correct domain as well

/etc/auto.master:
/mnt/pkg    /etc/auto.pkg -g
/mnt/sweng /etc/auto.sweng -g
/usr2        yp:auto.home

/etc/auto.pkg:
RPM.rhel4WS_FOO -fstype=nfs somehost.domainfoo.com:/pkg.RHEL_4/FOOpackages

/etc/auto.sweng
archives -fstype=nfs anotherhost.domainfoo.com:/opt/mnt/bar/archives

I've also added the following to the end of /etc/passwd as per instructions from our IT docs (although current linux system do not have this):
+::::::

I guess auto.home is on the NIS server....

One more note: I am able to see /mnt/pkg/RPM.rhel4WS_FOO w/o problems....

Any help someone can give me, or pointers to things to try would be very much appreciated. Unfortunately our IT guys are afraid of Linux and just want to support Winblows and thier ancient Solaris systems.

-Brooke