Re: Is Beagle a Good Thing?

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 22:46 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Could you give a concrete example of its use?
LOL, of course

> I looked at the URL above, and read half-a-dozen pages,
> but did not come across a single example saying something like
> "To do xyz give the command abc".
First of all, you have a GUI, which, in my case, it's accessible by
clicking on the little magnifying glass on my upper left corner.

Then the interface appears and I just look for something.

The search is lightning fast and lets me look into documents, emails,
websites, etc.

For example, I look the for the phrase "birthday" and it lists all my
documents that contain that phrase, like: emails, pidgin logs, pdfs,
open office docs, websites, etc.

Before this, you have to activate it and, optionally, set the private
folders (folders I don't want it to look at) and "other" directories
(directories outside my user dir that I want it to index). By default,
it only indexes my user directory.

Also, you can "filter" the types of document(s) you want it to look at.
For example, if I wanted "birthday" to be searched only at my emails, I
would filter them and that's it!

It's amazing.

Try runing, on your Comand Line Interface (CLI) man beagled

I, ussually, for debuging purposes, run beagled --fg so it tells me what
is it doing and any error that may surge

--
Renich Bon Ciric <renich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Woralelandia