Re: I miss smbfs: cifs doesn't work as expected

Hi Nico,

I'm not sure if FC6 is the same as FC8 with respect to SMB but I assume it is.

The main thing I noticed is that you are using forward slashes (i.e. unix notation) and Windows uses "backslash /" notation,

e.g. on my machine I use:

# mount -t cifs -n //localhost/mydata  /media -o username=windows
# password: <enter your password>

#mount
/#/localhost/mydata on /media type cifs (rw,mand)

Hope I didn't miss your point :(

Al.

Nico Sabbi wrote:
Hi,
with another distribution I could mount an SMB share as my user
(passing different credentials to mount.smbfs)
in such a manner that on my pc the mounted files appeared
to belong to my user.
The /etc/fstab entry was:

//server/dir /home/nico/dir smbfs noauto,users,rw,noexec,username=MYUSERNAME,password=MYPWD 0 0 0 0

In FC8, instead, using cifs I can't obtain the same result: mounting always fails. The problem seems to be related to mount.cifs:

$ smb4k_mount -t cifs -n //server/dir ./a -o username=MYUSERNAME,password=MYPWD

mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

How can I make this configuration work? I can neither change
the user exporting the share nor change my local user.

I'd like to use the good old smbfs, but it seems to have been
completely removed from Fedora kernels (why? ) .

Thanks,
	Nico