Re: Is Beagle a Good Thing?

Bruce Byfield wrote:
On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 15:26 +0000, dexter wrote:

I don't recall ever starting beagled,
and it does not seem to be listed by chkconfig.

What exactly does it do?

"Teaches users bad habits," is my first response. Beagle, like Tracker,
is designed for people who dump everything into the top level of their
home directory, instead of organizing them into meaningful folders. If
you've taken the time to organize yourself, then apps like Beagle and
Tracker seem a large committment of resources just to accomodate people
who won't learn good work habits. ;-)

Until you have too many folders, too many years of files and not enough coffee. I use Google Desktop and I have added /etc to its index. It makes it very easy to find find, for example, all files that make reference to "ath0" or contain "radeon".