Re: how to share internet connection in fedora

Just to analyze a bit: You were the only one to explicitly tell him to use webmin or shorewall.

So: when I install a firewall (any kind), this usually still does not allow me to share any internet connection. So, how do you suppose this was any better ?

As later suggested, one needs ip_forwarding and an iptables entry for nat - at least. But, as this has security implications and can render the internet connection unsusable (e.g. a spelling error in the iptables script), we would prefer not to rush things. Haste makes waste, easy as that.

The only one who has still not understood the basiscs seems to be you, Paul. It´s not only about manners or stuff, but also about flaming people willing to _help_, not just finish the call.

Paul Shaffer wrote:
If you had simlpy read and understood the OP's question, you would understand that all you're "what if" scenarios are completely ridiculous.  There is only one correct simple answer all you complainers have overlooked in the rush to over analyze this.

Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 11:11 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 08:45:02 -0800,
> Paul Shaffer wrote:
> > Azeez, what you need is not trite retorts from resident list imbeciles (see Bill's response below), but rather to employ an iptables firewall application/script. There are numerous available to meet any need from simple to enterprise-capable. Firestarter, Shorewall, and I believe there is a basic firewall configuration utility in the distro. The web-based firewall gui in Webmin provides a very simple rudimentary funtion for this. There are many others. Keywords: firewall, nat, masq.
>
> Depending on what he wants to do there can be significantly more invloved.
> His original question was incomplete and asking to expand on it before giving
> him an inappropiate response was correct.

It was past incomplete. It said virtually nothing, yet we have two
"experts" divining that he needs firewall rules. Suppose he has only
some computers and some wires, with the ends freshly spliced, wondering
what to hook them to?? Or two dumb terminals and a pair of rabbit ears?
Or two tin-cans and a string? No one knows, except "The Amazing Kreskin"
and he's dead. Period.

Bill's response was not "trite" at all. The OP can learn, that I have no
doubt. When he does, he will be better served. That's the point. We all
come here to serve or be served, usually some of both. Learning how to
reach that goal successfully, and acknowledge the conventions of lists
such as ours and of others, is not a bad thing. Bill just cut through
the mustard. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar