Re: Serial Port Bug?

On Nov 28, 2007 1:02 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >
> >> Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
> >>
> >> Nothing about being set up in dmesg. It appears the kernel correctly
> >> sees the driver. But for some reason it is not turned on.
> >>

> > If the kernel's serial driver sees a serial port enabled it will print three
> > lines (not just one) like this:
> > Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
> > serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> > 00:07: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> >
> > On my F8 laptop, which has no serial ports, I still get:
> > Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
> >
> > but no actual ports are found.  Just because the kernel loads the serial
> > driver doesn't mean it saw a serial port.
> >
> > So I ask again: is your serial port enabled or disabled in the BIOS?  All
> > modern BIOS's have the capability to disable the serial ports in hardware to
> > where the kernel will not see the ports.
> >
> > Checking voltages won't help you if the chip interface has been disabled from
> > the BIOS setup program.
> >
>     What is the serial port called in the BIOS? I have looked and never
> found anything looking like serial port. I will be sure able to do that
> IF I know what it is called.
>

> --
>
>         Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>         Linux User
>         #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>
> --

Hi again Karl Larsen!

It could be called COM1 (or COM2).

With a CMOS set up program you relax, poke a button and check all the
options.  I do not mean select and try I mean simply see what they
are.

Even though your MB is new you could have a bad battery.  Try
selecting the setup defaults while in the CMOS set up program and then
"save and exit".

Good Hunting!

Tod