Re: [OT] fglrx problems with compiz and wine

Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
Excuse me for this offtopic but I didn't find any specific user lists
for livna... I hope others on this list already tested and find
eventually solved
Using fglrx (both 8.42 and 8.43) on F8 x86 as packaged by livna I have
these problems with my ati x1950 crossfire edition
1 incorrect detect of ram. 256 instead of 512.
Found something on mtrr tricking but not sure how to do
2 running wine apps 50% of times crash with an opengl error (drmopen message)
3 compiz doesn' start
It seems texture_from_pixmap only present in client and server but not
in opengl extensions (from glxinfo)
Found that it could help downgrade xorg on fc7 but I don,t know on f8
without risk of messing up rpm db
Any pointers specifically for f8 users?
Thanks

Lots of info on this over at the Phoronix forums.
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5972
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6607

Basically, the ATI (fglrx) linux driver sucks rocks. Many of us don't have a choice when the laptop your company purchases for you has an ATI card in it.

Specifically, the openGL libraries between the fglrx and Mesa versions get confused.
The fglrx driver may misidentify your version of X11.
And others ...

There is no good work around that I know of. If you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_PRELOAD to force the fglrx versions to load first, you will do better with many applications, but not all.

However, even with those set on a system level, compiz fails to see what it needs from glxinfo. In fact, sometimes glxinfo can just hang.

Its frustrating to see ATI struggle so badly with what should be normal things.

I have tested the ATI official packages and the livna packages. They both behave the same way. The guys at Livna are doing a great job right now, but unfortunately for us, the product itself is less than desirable.

8.43 adds an additional frustration for me by killing suspend (again) so I downgraded back to 8.42. My current choices are fxlrx or vesa. The radeon driver may eventually support my card.

If I could get 1920x1200 out of any other driver, I would dump the fglrx driver in a heartbeat. I miss my games on the laptop, but it has been a long time now since I have had a nvidia card in my laptop, so I have been restricted to mostly 2D apps for a long time now anyways.

This laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9400 with an ATI/DELL X1400 in it.

Good Luck!