Re: Accepted Way To Install/Load Atheros Wireless Drivers

Robert L Cochran wrote:
Endy wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
Robert L Cochran wrote:
I have an Atheros AR5006EG card on a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147 laptop computer. That's an i386 architecture but is Pentium Dual Core.

ifconfig doesn't show either a wlan0 or an ath0 present. I guess I need to add the ATRPMS repo and then install the madwifi driver to get support?

Thanks

That, or download from madwifi.org. There's a src.rpm someplace, you need to rebuild for each new kernel. Doesn't take long.

Freshrpms has a package for the madwifi driver. http://moonshine.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=453 .

Install the freshrpms-release package that is listed on the left side of the page, and then install it from yum.
Endy

I can see the ath5k module is loaded. I could just set up an ifcfg-ath0 module and then `ifup ifcfg-ath0` and Network Manager should be able to do the rest of my work for me...does this make any sense?

Not exactly. I've not used the ath5k module, I use the madwifi driver.

I would try:
# Load the driver
modprobe ath5k
% Check for kernel messages
dmesg | tail -20
# find device name
iwconfig

I don't know what the device will be, probably _not_ wifi0.

Assuming you're right, netmanager should see it, and you can manipulate it with the iw commands (but don't do this if you're using netmanager, except to test. You need to be root)
iwconfig ath0 essid any key s:passp rate auto
dhclient ath0

Mostly, those two commands (with correct data) associate with an AP using WEP.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait