Re: Serial Port Bug?

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:48:21 -0700
Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This made me think the new computer which has a serial port that is not working.

I could certainly be a busted serial port, but there are
billions of other possibilities as well (unfortunately :-).
Now I am sure it is there but not working it seems. I read the proper voltages on the pins of the serial port, and the dmesg does find a serial driver on the computer.

Did you install Xen on the system and are you running the
Xen kernel? I know that Xen likes to steal the serial port
even from the Dom0 for use as a console in the xen
microkernel.

   No Xen here.

There could also be udev permission problems (though you
probably would have still seen something about ttyS* in
dmesg in that case). You might have to add your user to
group "uucp" to access the serial port.

   Yes I did that months ago and it is still good.
If you have any of the various livecd distributions around,
you might try booting them to see if they can see a serial
port.

   I will try my umbuntu cd later and see if it can use the the port.

   I need to find anything else that uses the serial port.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User