Re: hdparm question: HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

--- Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2007 4:30 PM, Antonio Olivares
> <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If one enables hdparm DVD playback will not be
> jumpy, however when applying hdparm I get
>
> Perhaps the libata faq will give you the most basic
> answer
> http://linux-ata.org/faq.html#old_ioctls
>
> Now are you sure that the drive isn't already using
> dma by default?
>
> hdparm -i /dev/cdrom
>
> will list the supported DMA modes and will indicate
> which one is
> currently in use. By default my DVD drive has the
> most advanced DMA
> enabled by default
>
>  DMA modes:  sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
>  UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
>
>  * signifies the current active mode

[root@localhost ~]# hdparm -i /dev/cdrom

/dev/cdrom:

 Model=TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S182D                ,
FwRev=SB03    , SerialNo=
 Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs
nonMagnetic }
 RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
 BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
 (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes,
LBAsects=0
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:227,w/IORDY:120},
tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
 UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
 AdvancedPM=no

 * signifies the current active mode

[root@localhost ~]#

What is the difference between UDMA and DMA?

> As to why hdparm is attempting to use the legacy
> ioctls, that I have no idea.
>
> -jef
>
> --

Thank you Jeff and Todd for answering this question.
I do not know as to which option to use

add this to /etc/modprobe.conf
options libata atapi_enabled=1

or add hdc=noprobe to the kernel command
/boot/grub/grub.conf.  If I do the latter where
exactly do I need to place the parameter, ie., after
quiet rhgb or before right after kernel line?

Regards,

Antonio

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs