Re: kernel panic on boot--need grub help

On Nov 26, 2007 6:53 PM, Geoffrey Bays <charioteer7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just installed fedora 8 on my AMD 64 X2 box using a live x64 DVD,
> set it to install from my Kubuntu hard disk (sda), and did not choose
> the option to reinstall grub.(Woe is me.)
> I figured that I would edit /boot/grub/menu.lst where Kubuntu keeps
> the grub boot list.So far, I have only gotten kernel panics.
>  I would reinstall Fedora from the live DVD and choose to reinstall
> grub on the kubuntu disk, but the mouse pointer now disappears after I
> enter the user name.
> So, I need help from someone's grub.conf file, (or help with
> disappearing mouse pointer?)
>
> In my menu.lst, I have:
>
> title           Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> root            (hd1,0)      // second hard drive, first partition
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sdb   //have
> tried 'root=LABEL=/' also without 'ro'
> initrd          /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img     //have tried without initrd line
> savedefault
> boot
>
> In grub interactive itself, grub finds the kernel, but at the initrd line gives
> error 16: inconsistent file structure or something like that.
>
> Can anyone get this fedora to boot?
> Really want it for the newest alsa drivers
>

> Many thanks
>
> geoffrey
>
> --

Hi Geoffrey!

Mikkel is pretty sharp and has probably solved your problem.  But if no joy:

On the live DVD, let the user window time out.  It will launch as the
live user, not you which it finds on disk and tries to use.

The grub error may point to a "stage 1.5" grub load problem where it
does not have a proper file system driver loaded.  For example perhaps
Kubuntu is using ext3 and Fedora ext2.

This may be a time to learn all about the MBR.   Google "Linux MBR".
"GRUB MBR" and "MBR thestarman".

Good Hunting!

Tod