Re: fc8 no sound

I could not agree with you more Karl. Over the years on different distro's
I've got the sound sorted, and now pulse audio is brought into the equation,
and wants to screw the sound up again. I'm sure there are probably some
benefits to using pulseaudio, but at the moment all I want is my sound to
work, and pulseaudio on F8 is messing with it.

The only thing you accomplish removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
is the suppression of this file:

[cascavel:/etc/alsa] more pulse-default.conf
# pulseaudio plugin configuration

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

It gives you the default for alsa. If you create a ~/.asoundrc

for your needs it will produce the same result.

I won't go into the problems I'm having with udev in the ordering of video
devices for my webcam, and tvcard. that's for another day. All I can say is
that pre udev kernels always order the tvcard as /dev/video0, and the webcam
as /dev/video1, but it's really hit and miss with kernels that use udev. I've
reached the stage where I have 2 desktop icons for Xawtv. 1 pointing
to /dev/video0, and the other to /dev/video1. I'm watching the Marx brothers
on the TV at the mo, and this sounds like a Marx Bros situation. If one don't
work try the other.

You need to create some udev rules:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter07/symlinks.html

--