Power Manager crash nukes HAL, DBUS

Hi all,

A couple of times this weekend I've gotten a Gnome crash report appearing onscreen indicating that Power Manager has crashed. As a result, Gnome, among other things I suppose, no longer automounts removable media. I've tried restarting message bus and haldaemon with the service command to no avail. I know a reboot will fix things, but I'd rather try to figure out what is going wrong and fix it -- and file a bug report if I can.

I don't see any script in /etc/init.d or a likey binary. Anyone know how to restart it? Also, this is a desktop box. Do I need Power Manager or is to primarily to save energy on laptops?

Thanks.

--
 Colin Brace
 Amsterdam