Re: Bug #372011 (or: how we could help with anaconda beta tests)

Hi Renich,

On Nov 24, 2007 8:40 AM, Renich Bon Ciric <renich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 17:01 -0200, Andre Costa wrote:
> > Believe me, if I was sure that I could test anaconda in read-only mode
> > would gladly do it, at any step before the official release. Chances
> > are that test coverage would improve considerably, and no installation
> > would be touched during this process.
> >
> > Does this make any sense to anyone? Would this help? Is it already
> > possible somehow?
>
> Why don't you try the all-mighty Xen for this? You could also try
> VirtualBox or VMWare... I don't know. It seems fairly easy to test some
> fedora installation in read-only mode with these tools.
>
> I'd suggest to make a fedora 7 installation on one of these and then try
> to upgrade it to fedora 8.
>
> There are also some techniques to "import" your hd image to these pieces
> of art... err.... software!
>
> # Xen Quick Start
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Fedora7VirtQuickStart
>
> # VirtualBox Website
> http://www.virtualbox.org/
>
> # VMWare
> Google it!

Yes, virtualization is indeed an option -- and, granted, the only way
to fully try a clean install.

However, what I'm proposing is a simpler way of doing it (assuming
this is possible, of course). One that would not imply allocating 4G
of my HD, doing a full network install (Xen only supports network
installations from what I read on the link you provided) etc.
considering I didn't want to really install the beta version, just see
if the installer dep solver will do its job.

Also, the guest system would have to mirror my host system
installation (same packages) if I want to be sure the _upgrade_ test
will be really effective. My guess is that installs from scratch are
much more likely to work than upgrades.

I think the simpler it is the more it will be applied, and that will
improve test coverage.

If I could just run a simple GUI (or even a CLI app) that would say
something like:

"Press ENTER to test if upgrading current installation to Fedora XX
will succeed"

(app would run, showing some progress stats so that I don't think it's frozen)

"Upgrade test run ended:
  XXX packages will be upgraded
  YYY packages can't be upgraded

Do you want to send a report to Fedora developers with these stats?"

This would make me (and the developers) much more confident the
upgrade will work (or not).

Regards,

Andre