Re: Can Java just shoot me? (was: Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 45, Issue 259)

to, 2007-11-22 kello 18:48 -0700, Karl Larsen kirjoitti:
> Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> > to, 2007-11-22 kello 10:07:04 -0700, Craig White kirjoitti:

...snip...
> >> this link suggests that the blackdown version of java works properly on
> >> 86_64 systems...
> >>
> >> http://fedora64.org/desktop-64-posts/java-x86_64/
> >>
> >> YMMV
> >>
> >> Craig
> >>

> > I'd advise against trying the blackdown java - at least for F7 and
> > Firefox 2.0.0.9. I just went through the installation process and as a
> > result my 64-bit Firefox crashed when loading my ISP's home page.
> > The 32-bit Firefox still worked - and so did the 64-bit Firefox after I
> > unlink'ed the 64-bit java plugin. It may have worked in FC5 and FF1.5...
> > I've never succeeded in making 64-bit java work in FC4-F7. Things may be
> > different now with F8 and IcedTea - but that has to wait my F8
> > installation which is not going to happen anytime soon.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Antti
> >

>     I have Java working on F7 and F8. Now I wonder why? I do not see any
> advantage yet to having Java installed.
>
> Regards
> Karl

The benefits of having a working Firefox Java plugin have not dawned on
me so far - except that my ISP's home page complains if I don't have
one. However, the page seems exactly similar no matter if I look at it
using 32-bit or 64-bit Firefox. The latter has't got a working plugin.
It is true that Java Virtual Machine test page in:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
won't show a dancing figure if your browser's Java plugin doesn't work.
Other than that I don't know any advantage...

Regards

Antti