Re: D-Link DWL-G630 and FC8.

Mike C <mike.cohler <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Lonni J Friedman <netllama <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Your "old laptop" has a broken BIOS.  Check to see if there's a newer
> > one.  Beyond that, you're likely out of luck.
>
> Yes - you are right - I know the BIOS is not right - but there is no update!

I just switched tack - I updated to the latest f8 test kernel 2.6.23.8-62.fc8
and plugged in a usb wireless adapter (Edimax EW7318UG) which uses the rt73usb
driver that is now part of the in-kernel rt2x00 - and it works - beautifully!

So now I have a stable wireless connection with WPA2-PSK connecting to the AP
and despite a buggy BIOS this gives a working machine.... rather nice.

Anyone else needing the drivers being developed that are part of rt2x00 might
find giving the new test f8 kernel a try worthwhile. I have not tried ath5k with
this updated kernel but there have been a lot of updates in this new version.