Re: autofs for idiots

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 02:18 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:04:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
> > Trying to get my head around plain autofs before I attempt ldap
> >
> > I can nfs mount via /etc/fstab...
> > #srv1:/home/storage/users  /home/storage/users  nfs  user,suid,dev,exec
> > 0  0
> >
> > It's commented out and not presently mounted
> >
> > why doesn't this work? (comments removed)
> >
> > # cat auto.master
> > /net    /etc/auto.net
> > /home/storage/users     /etc/auto.misc
> >
> > # cat auto.misc
> > cd              -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
> > /home/storage/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users
> >
> > # service autofs restart
> > Stopping automount:                                        [  OK  ]
> > Starting automount:                                        [  OK  ]
> >
> > # ls -l /home/storage/users
> > total 0
> >
> > it should show all user files
> >
> > Why doesn't this work?  I've been through every man page, etc.
> >
> > Craig
>

> You do know autofs has been set up by default so that it works out of the
> box. Just keep the original /etc/auto* files, make sure that autofs is
> running and do
>
> cd /net/server/foobar
>
> and you're there. All nfs partitions that a client can see are under
> /net/<server>/. In the above example, the server exports /foobar.
----
I didn't know that thanks - in reality, that couldn't work for me
without a lot of changes since the users $HOME directory is set by LDAP
and it would have to necessarily have to be in the /home tree (or I'm
doing a whole bunch of changes).

The exercise wasn't really to use autofs as indicated but to use autofs
via ldap and I just wanted an intermediate step to learn how it works.

Thanks

Now, if someone really wants to help, I've been pursuing the LDAP angle
on tikanga-list since the LDAP server is RHEL (clients are primarily
Fedora 7, still trying to work out regression issues in Fedora 8)...

https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-list/2007-November/msg00171.html

which suggests that there is an ou called automountMapName but I cannot
locate it in the autofs.schema (or any schema), can't create the dn as
the documentation suggests in

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/RHEL510/Deployment_Guide/s2-nfs-config-autofs-LDAP.html

# grep -r automountMap /etc/openldap/schema/*
/etc/openldap/schema/redhat/autofs.schema:objectclass
( 1.3.6.1.4.1.2312.4.2.2 NAME 'automountMap' SUP top STRUCTURAL

# grep -ir automountMapName /etc/openldap/schema/*
#

I can see in
/usr/share/doc/autofs-5.0.1/ldap-automount-rfc2307-bis-auto.master
that the entry is there but I can't find any schema support for creating
entries with a dn that begins

automountMapName= anything

Craig