Re: Annoying OO 'Feature': AutoNumbering

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 17:30 +0000, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Are we using the same program???
> My 'Help->About' gives OpenOffice 2.3.0. This is the writer.

Until you said that, I didn't know.  But we are.

> There is NO 'Tools->Autoformat menu item.
> There is an Autoformat item under the Table heading, but it is greyed
> out (unles I'm in a table, of course).
>
> And there is one under 'Format' but it does not have a pop-up,

I made a typo, but my prior advice stands "read through the
menus" (that's what they're for, and that's why they're called a menu).
That's how I found out how to use the program, long ago - seeing what my
options were, and trying them out.  Along with reading the help that
came with the program.

It was "AutoCorrect," in the tools menu, rather than auto-format.  That
pops up a window, where you have options to play with.  You can untick
the option regarding "apply numbering", and it won't auto correct
numbers into what it thinks they should be.

The "symbol" part after it is yet another option, there's a gadget that
lets you pick what symbols are used along with this function.  That's
related, but not quite the same.  It lets you automatically create
bullet point lists, rather than numbered ones, and that's the symbol
it'll put in place of your typed bullet point.

NB:  Menu items with a ... after their name will bring up another box to
configure what the function does.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.