Re: how do you force anaconda to use vesa?

Jack Howarth wrote:
Jim,
   Unfortunately, adding 'xdriver=vesa' to the kernel flags that the
installer uses doesn't help. I still find that anaconda probes the
Radeon X1650 Pro and then I get a black screen. The weird part is
that I can't seem to get to a virtual console after that happens.
I guess I'll be sitting Fedora 8 out since I don't really want to
mess with a text-based upgrade.
                Jack

I am surprised that F8 seems so terrible for upgrading and is failing more with particular hardware. If you are upgrading vs. a regular install, the text mode should work fine. In an upgrade, you cannot select additional packages anyway. The GUI is just going to show a few details.

I still have not burned the F8 installation disc that I downloaded. The regressions are a shame.
linux xdriver=vesa
worked for F7. It must be that X thinks it can configure the display driver correctly and is ignoring the anaconda option, or the option was removed.

Jim

--
My brother sent me a postcard the other day with this big satellite photoof the entire earth on it. On the back it said: "Wish you were here".
		-- Steven Wright