Re: How to Migrate to a new PC

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 16:43 -0500, Gerry Doris wrote:
> I have a working FC6 system that is running on an old tired PC.  The FC6
> install has several non Fedora applications running on it and the
> standard applications have the normal modifications.  I now want to move
> to a new faster PC.
>
> I loaded FC8 on the new PC and it worked without a problem so I know the
> new PC works with FC8.  I've configured the new PC hard drive with the
> same partitions as my FC6 PC.  However, the drives are much bigger on
> the new PC and are named differently.  For example, the old box has an
> hda and hdd but no hdb or hdc for some reason?
----
hda = primary ATA controller, master drive
hdb = primary ATA controller, slave drive
hdc = secondary ATA controller, master drive
hdd = secondary ATA controller, slave drive

new computer unlikely to have ATA drives...most are now SATA, new
hardware, new designations.

F8 requires 'labels' on filesystems
F8 uses sda/sdb/sdc, etc. even for ATA controller connected drives
----

> I really don't want to do a fresh install, load and then configure the
> applications from scratch.  Ideally, I'd like to copy the FC6 system to
> the new PC and then upgrade it to FC8.  I know it won't be clean but
> I've upgraded in the past and understand the process.  I'd also rather
> do the upgrade to FC8 on the new PC for a number of reasons.
----
probably really complicating things...better to have a clean install,
copy files that you need or even easier, create a new directory,
i.e. /home/old-system and copy contents of old hard drives there and get
what you need, when you need it
----

> What is the best way to do this?  Can I copy over the contents of the
> partitions and then try and modify the key files so it will boot?  I'd
> have to change grub.conf and fstab but what else would need to be
> modified.  If I can get the system to boot I'm confident I can make the
> other necessary changes .
----
clean install suggestion is the best way to do this.

Craig