Re: can't login to luks-encypted /home

"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak" <mjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have /home mounted as a luks-encrypted volume.
>
> From the command line, everything looks OK - I can create user
> directories, use df and du, etc.
>
> However, if I try to logon with gdm with userX, it says it can't find
> /home/userX.
>
> Why should that be?
>
> - Mike

What version of Fedora?

Have you edited /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab with appropriate entries?

If you are not being prompted during a boot for the LUKS passphrase, the
answers to the above questions are likely "No", which is why you cannot
access /home.

If on F7 or F8, then /etc/crypttab should contain a line similar to the
following:

# /home
home /dev/sda7 none luks

where in your situation, '/dev/sda7' is replaced by the proper device and
partition number for your /home partition.

Then in /etc/fstab, you should have a line similar to the following:

/dev/mapper/home        /home          ext3    defaults  1 2

*AND* be sure to either remove or comment out the default line in
/etc/fstab that typically looks like:

LABEL=/home             /home          ext3    defaults        1 2

HTH,

Marc Schwartz