Re: Execute a command before mounting what's in /etc/fstab - how?

Chris G wrote:
On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 08:53:14AM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 09:51 +0000, Chris G wrote:
On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 11:59:26AM -0800, Michael Eager wrote:
Chris G wrote:
I have a Freecom network disk which needs the following to be executed
before I can mount it using an entry in /etc/fstab :- echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
Is there any neat way I can get this command executed during the boot
sequence before the entries in /etc/fstab are mounted?
Drives are mounted in rc.sysinit.  You can add your
line before this happens.

... but it'll get lost on next install, surely there's a "proper"
place to do it.
Someone suggested putting the execution in the correct place
in /etc/rc.sysinit, which seemed right to me.

I've actually ended up putting it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, I have
there:-

    modprobe cifs
    echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
    mount /freecom

... and in /etc/fstab I have:-

    //freecom/chris         /freecom                cifs noauto,user,password="" 0 0

I could put the whole mount command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local but I prefer
having something explicit in /etc/fstab.

I would *hope* that /etc/rc.d/rc.local doesn't get overwritten by an
upgrade or at least that it's copied before being overwritten.

It won't get clobbered, but IMV this isn't the right way.
man modprobe.conf

You can run arbitrary commands to install a module, so you could have both the echo and the modprobe there, and then auto should work in /etc/fstab

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait