Re: Dual layer dvd burning

John Summerfield wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Tony Nelson wrote:
>>> Why use a filesystem?  I just put a tar archive directly on the media.
>>> Growisofs doesn't care what file you burn.
>>
>> Uh, yes, it does.  It creates an ISO fs containing the file(s) you want
>> burnt, and the ISO fs is where the 2GB filesize limit is.
>
> It doesn't insist on it, see the man page:
>        To use growisofs to write a pre-mastered ISO-image to a DVD:
>
>             growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

We're still talking apples and oranges here.  You keep talking about
writing ISO filesystems that are already built.  I keep talking about
building the ISO filesystem to write to the DVD.  The 2GB filesize
restriction lies inside the definition of the ISO filesystem.  a 32 bit
filesize field can't hold more than a signed 2GB value.  AFAIK, it is
not an unsigned field.  I don't know the details, I just know it didn't
work when I tried it about 18 months ago....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx