Re: F8: Mozilla plugins (flash and mplayer) don't work

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 17:11 -0200, André Costa wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Nov 19, 2007 4:14 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Nov 15, 2007 11:46 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Do all of your plugins show up under about:plugins ?
> > >
> > > On this x86_64 machine I had to create symbolic links from the files
> > > in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/ to ~/.mozilla/plugins before they would show up.
> > >
> > > I just tried watching a trailer on apple.com and it worked.
> > >
> > > --
> > > MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://www.melvilletheatre.com
> > >

> > I got fed up wrestling with this and removed firefox-x86_64.  The i386
> > version works with the plugins, no trouble, plus I got Java support.
> >
> > What benefit flows from using the x86_64 firefox?
>
> This is pretty much what I've done, too. Damn Adobe and Sun for not
> providing 64bit versions of their plugins (Java also doesn't work with
> firefox-64), and Apple for not providing QuickTime at all.
>
> The main difference is that I kept x86_64 version around so that I
> don't need to remove yelp (which depends on it). This is only possible
> if you install firefox-32, which provides a convenient way of starting
> the 32bit version (you will need to modify gnome-panel's applet
> accordingly, and also preferred browser setting).

It doesn't seem to be very well advertised, but there is a simple way to
get 64-bit Firefox and 32-bit plugins - including Adobe and Flash - to
run together.

You need to configure nspluginwrapper, which is included by default.
Specifically, do the following:

Install 32-bit plugins as normal
run the command mozilla-plugin-config -i -g -v

After doing this, I have both Flash and Adobe running quite nicely with
F8 x86_64 on my laptop, as well as a few other things.

By the way, you can find this info in the F8 release notes under section
10.3.1 Enabling the Flash Plugin.

...but who actually reads this stuff? :) I know I didn't and struggled
for days as a result.

Cheers,

Chris

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is.

--Yogi Berra