Re: home network planning with all-linux questions

Frank Cox wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:37:39 -0600
Tom Poe <tompoe@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

one for router/gateway between LAN and DSL modem.

Unless you have special requirements, it's my opinion that for most home and
small office networks the best thing to use for a router is a router.  Dlink
routers and the like are quite cheap, very easy to configure and they use less
power and generate less heat than any general purpose computer.  They also come
with a fairly decent built-in firewall, not to mention that the mere fact that
you're NAT-ing tends to add a layer of protection as well.

Frank: I'm no longer in the labor force, and my small pension dictates I use older computer. :)
Tom