F8 Desktop Effects, nVidia, and Virtual Terminals

I have an nVidia 7600 graphics card, livna kmod-nvidia, on an Athlon XP3200+, using F8

Desktop Effects works fine, BUT, if I use <Ctrl> <Alt> <Fn> to change to a text mode virtual terminal, strange things happen. On using <Ctrl> <Alt> <Fn> to change to a text terminal, all seems fine. Then using <Ctrl> <Alt> <F7> to go back to the X session gives a black screen with only the mouse pointer showing. No X shortcuts work. Using <Ctrl> <Alt> <Fn> to get back to a text mode screen does not work. The only way out is to hard reset the machine.

Any ideas?

Brian