Re: Firewall problems with NFS

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:02:51 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I have a firewall problem with running an NFS server on FC6 or FC8, due
> to the GUI configuration interface not opening the firewall when I check
> the NFS protocol support. It seems to only allow use as an NFS client,
> since that worked fine when I tested it.
>
> I can put the needed rules in the "RH-Firewall-1-INPUT" chain, but
> mixing GUI administration and manual administration is undesirable to
> prevent unexpected behavior, conflicts, etc, in the future. Is there
> really no way to open the ports for NFS server other than by hand?
>
> --
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
>   "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot

Here's what you do. Or rather what I did and have always been doing.

[root@phoenix ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/nfs | grep -v "#"
RQUOTAD_PORT=4000
LOCKD_TCPPORT=4001
LOCKD_UDPPORT=4001
MOUNTD_PORT=4002
STATD_PORT=4003

(or whatever ports you want as long as they are not taken).

Open these ports in the firewall. You can do this very well from the GUI
in Sytem->Administration->Firewall. Just click on other ports and add

111 tcp (portmapper)
111 udp (portmapper)
4000-4003 tcp (whatever you defined in nfs)
4000-4003 udp (ditto)

Note you don't need 4000 4002 and 4003 udp so you can be a little more
strict, but I didn't bother, I opened up the whole range 4000-4003 udp.

Restart fireall, restart nfs, done.

Check on the server that the rpc services are running on the prescribed
ports, and check from a client that you can see the server exports with
showmount.

For instance, if my nfs server is called phoenix, and a client is called
orion, then

[root@orion ~]# showmount -e phoenix
Export list for phoenix:
/opt  192.168.1.0/24,192.168.0.0/24
/home 192.168.1.0/24
/data 192.168.1.0/24,192.168.0.0/24

By the way, if you have the automounter running on the client, you do not
need to enter the nfs partitions in fstab, etc. You may know this already.