Re: Copy words still broken

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 16:05 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:

>     Use the example that is above this starting with open two Terminal
> windows. I was told my problem was a stuck key on my keyboard. But 2
> keyboards act the same.
>

> --
>
> 	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> 	Linux User
> 	#450462   http://counter.li.org.

HI Karl,

I would start by running the xev program and put the mouse in the black
box and see if you are generating a button 2 press and release by
pressing both the left and right button.  Also check the left and right
button seperately.

When I run xev I get the following by pressing either button 2 or button
1&3 simultaneously:

ButtonPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x4c00002,
    root 0x6a, subw 0x0, time 1164427903, (95,96), root:(110,198),
    state 0x0, button 2, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x4c00002,
    root 0x6a, subw 0x0, time 1164428195, (95,96), root:(110,198),
    state 0x200, button 2, same_screen YES

If you are not generating the button2 press, I would look to see if you
have the "Emulate3buttons" option for your mouse in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
My mouse section looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

I have a 3 button mouse, but I can also generate button 2 using the left
and right button simultaneously.

If you are still not generating the button 2 press, then I would look to
see if somthing is accidently remapped at the x server level, such as
with xmodmap or in the xorg.conf (I don't know if this is possible).

I believe there is more than one clipboard and I've seen some
application at times screw up the behaviour of the clipboard, in
particular, I've seen this with vmware and sometimes with emacs.
I would try this after restarting your x server with out having run any
applications other than the terminal.

Nataraj