Re: (fedora) F8: Mozilla plugins (flash and mplayer) don't work

On Nov 15, 2007 2:37 PM, Greg Sieranski <greg.sieranski@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> David Boles wrote:
> >
> > André Costa wrote:

> >> Well, don't know if it's the proper way to solve this, but once I
> >> replaced firefox.x86_64 with firefox.i386 (the same goes for
> >> mplayerplug-in), and removed nspluginwrapper, all started working
> >> again.
> >>
> >> The only (considerable) downside to it is that yelp depends on
> >> firefox.x86_64, but so far I chose to lose it in favor of the 32bits
> >> version of Firefox (I guess I could install 32bit version of yelp, but
> >> I'm afraid it would demand tons of 32bit libs that I don't want laying
> >> around).
> >>
> >> If anyone knows a better way of doing this (that would not force me to
> >> remove yelp), please advise.
> >>

> > You did not have to remove the 64-bit Firefox. Just change the menu to
> > point to the 32-bit Firefox.
> >
> > - --
> >

> >   David
> >

> In the run application prompt you can use  "firefox" for  64bit and
> "firefox-32"  for the 32 bit. That way you can keep both on your system.

Hi Greg and David, thks for your tips.

AFAICS there's no such a thing as "firefox-32" or anything like it.
Just to make sure I reinstalled firefox.x86_64 alongside with .i386
version, and the only thing I get is /usr/bin/firefox, which is a bash
script that will run 64bit version if it is available:

##
## Variables
##
MOZ_ARCH=$(uname -m)
case $MOZ_ARCH in
    x86_64 | ia64 | s390 )
        MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib64"
        SECONDARY_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib"
        ;;
    * )
        MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib"
        SECONDARY_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib64"
        ;;
esac

Since "uname -m" returns x86_64, this is the version that's always chosen.

I could of course execute /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9/firefox-bin
directly, but everytime I upgrade firefox I will have to fix this
reference.

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Andre