Modprobe, blacklist, phantom ethernet devices.

I'm working on upgrading from FC6 to FC8.  On FC5, I could
add (for instance) 8139too to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and
then add 'alias eth0 8139too' to /etc/modprobe.conf and the
system would load the 8139too driver first.  I removed the MAC
from the sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* to keep the interface
names at the default.

With FC8, if I blacklist, it won't load the driver at all.

I think this is related:  I installed this image on one machine,
and moved it to a very similar machine (same hardware type, but
of course different ethernet MACs, etc).  Both systems have 4
ethernet adapters on them.  Now, when I boot on the new system,
/etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts are populated
with eth4-7.

What I want to do is have this hard-drive image boot the same eth0-3
no matter which of these systems I boot it on.

Any ideas on how to go about this in the most proper manner?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>