Re: fedora 8 boot up time

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 20:45 +0000, Jose Celestino wrote:
>> Remove more services?
>
> This touches one something I was thinking about earlier:  Granted that
> it's quicker not to start things you don't need.  Is it even quicker if
> you completely remove some services, so the system doesn't even have to
> both sorting through the list to find the ones it will start, and their
> starting/stopping order?

This is not really a factor. The way it works is that the services
that need to be started/stopped are controlled by symlinks in the
run level directory pointing to the scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d (or
/etc/init.d, but this is usually a symlink to /etc/rc.d/init.d.) and
the first letter of the symlink determines it a start of stop sction
is needed. So the "list" should be the same weather the service is
installed or not, as long as it isn't set to be turned on.

Mikkel