Re: any good UPS for a Fedora server

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 20:56:29 -0800,
  "Ali, Saqib" <docbook.xml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am looking for a UPS for a single Fedora server for a non-profit
> org. Only one machine (HP DL360 G4) will be connected to the UPS. We
> need about 2 hrs of run-time, with automatic shutdown capability, and
> restart when the power comes back.
>
> Any good APC UPS that has rpm for Fedora?

For that long of a time you may want to look into some sort of backup
generator. You can get ones that run off natural gas for a few thousand
dollars. (If you expect earthquakes, than getting one that runs on gas or
diesel would make more sense. Those are more of a pain to maintain, since
you have to worry about stabilizing the fuel.) That device could also supply
power for other things in the office. You would still want a UPS to smooth out
the cutover and help clean up the power during normal operation.

Otherwise you probably want to measure your power usage for the server
and figure out how much energy you need to have stored in the batteries
and see if you can find a UPS that stores that much. Certainly there are
high end UPS' that can do that. They just might be over your budget.