Re: F7 to F8: no joy =/

Hi Antonio, thks for jumping in.

On Nov 14, 2007 9:32 AM, Antonio <antonio.montagnani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2007/11/14, André Costa <blueser@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Hi Claude,

> > > Lots of people reporting this issue including me. I did a yum upgrade on two
> > > machines that failed on upgrade from the DVD in the way you describe. Worked
> > > beautifully. It took a long time - I had to remove a couple of packages on
> > > one machine that failed dependency checks, but other than that, it worked.
> > > The usual little stuff is broken after the upgrade, but nothing show-stopping
> > > so far. Avahi ends up with two instances after the update, but you can google
> > > the fix for that - it's simple. Long time means overnight - there were around
> > > 1400 packages on each machine that got updated. Both were complete when I
> > > looked the next morning.
> >
> > Thks for sharing your experience. Well, something is definitely broken
> > on F8 upgrade process, a Core 2 Duo should never need 1+ hour of
> > processing at 1.0 load to figure out the dependencies -- even if it's
> > just to realize it can't go further for some reason (eg. third-party
> > packages -- which I do have, from Freshrpms). I remember experiencing
> > similar delays with F6 --> F7 upgrade, but it wasn't comparable to
> > this. It looks like anaconda still needs some serious work.
> >
> > Well, a network upgrade with yum should work, but what will happen if
> > I lose connection for some reason? Will it be possible to recover from
> > a half-completed upgrade? Is it possible to use yum to upgrade from
> > the installation DVD?
> >
> > I'll try to file a bug report for this (if there isn't one about it
> > yet) hoping that F9 will come with a anaconda that works =/
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Andre
>
> I think that as soon as anaconda problem is solved, DVD should be
> re-issued. I am waiting that before wiping out one of my server, for a
> clean install

Yeah, I could wait a little longer for F8, too. The question is: will
it be fixed for F8? Is there anyone working on anaconda issues (this
or any other one) to release a re-spin of the official upgrade DVDs?
Or will any fix just be visible on F9?

> Luckily I had other computer upgraded by switching from F7 to
> development repos and finally to F8. I am following same procedure for
> F9, development repos is already enabled on one of my computer

I understand that F8t3 to F8 should be a small and simple upgrade, but
isn't jumping from F7 to F8t3 pretty much the same as doing a network
upgrade from F7 to F8?

If only yum could use the installation DVD as a source for upgrade
somehow...after all, all necessary packages (except for 3rd-party
repos) should be there already.

Regards,

Andre