Re: any good UPS for a Fedora server

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Ali, Saqib wrote:
I am looking for a UPS for a single Fedora server for a non-profit
org. Only one machine (HP DL360 G4) will be connected to the UPS. We
need about 2 hrs of run-time, with automatic shutdown capability, and
restart when the power comes back.

Any good APC UPS that has rpm for Fedora?

APC has an apcupsd RPM for their UPSes.  Its readily available.
Otherwise, there is the generic nut RPM that can be configured for a
number of other UPSes without much difficulty.  The 2 hours of runtime
is where you are going to have trouble.  You're going to need a massive
UPS to provide that kind of power to a desktop system.  However, my
laptop battery has that kind of power on a laptop system.  My
motherboard in my desktop system is configurable to return to the
previous state it was in upon power restoration, so I don't think its a
function of th UPS driver to do that.

it's something I often say in jest, but true nonetheless. A laptop can make a good low-end server, and as you say, it comes with a built-in UPS.

Two hours is a very long time, and in most places isn't really much better than five minutes.

YMMV.

With my PC/monitor/cable modem plugged into my APC RS 1000 it claims to
have about 31 minutes of backup time.  You'll obviously need a bigger
model to get to 2 hours of runtime.

--

Cheers
John