Re: pulseaudio == disaster ??

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 05:08:39AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
> >On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:56:25 -0500
> >"David A. De Graaf" <dad@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>5 - The http://www.pulseaudio.org/ web page is a paean to the wonders of
> >>this new system, but has precious little instruction on how to
> >>actually make it work.
> >
> >My impression exactly. I even figured out I probably needed
> >a daemon running, so I tried to find out the name of the program
> >to run or what arguments to give it. The information may be on
> >the pulseaudio web site somewhere, but it is hidden under
> >the enormous pile of self promotion :-).
>
> It took just a minute.
>
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
>
> Rahul

It took me several minutes to study those instructions, test them,
and prove that they don't work (for me).

It says to edit /etc/asound.conf:

[dad@datbird etc]$ diff asound.confSTD asound.conf
8a9,23

> # pcm.pulse {
> #     type pulse
> # }
>
> # ctl.pulse {
> #     type pulse
> # }
>
> pcm.!default {
>     type pulse
> }
> ctl.!default {
>     type pulse
> }

and to edit /etc/pulse/default.pa:

[dad@datbird pulse]$ diff STDdefault.pa default.pa
38a39,41
> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0
> load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0

57a61,64
> load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp
> auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1;192.168.0.0/16
> load-module module-native-protocol-tcp
> auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1;192.168.0.0/16
> load-module module-zeroconf-publish

So, with those changes in place, I tried to start the daemon:

[dad@datbird pulse]$ pulseaudio --log-level=debug
I: main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
I: main.c: Fresh high-resolution timers available! Bon appetit!
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1207:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
E: module-alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: No such device
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument:
"device=hw:0"): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: failed to initialize daemon.
I: main.c: Daemon terminated.

Once again startup fails because there is no "PCM device hw:0:".

I'm baffled and bewildered.

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad@xxxxxxxx         www.datix.us