Re: DHCP server package

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Bill Maidment wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Bill Maidment wrote:

I don't have time to check right now, but it may not be on the DVD
at all. The DVD image is not large enough to hold all the packages,
so you may have to download it from one of the repos. I believe the
DVD image only holds the more commonly used packages.

Mikkel
OK. I've found it on a repository. Thanks.
It seems somewhat silly not to provide DHCP server on the DVD, as that needs to be set up in a new installation before users can install and connect to the network. It's only about 95kb.

It's not something most people will use, however. It would be nice, but it would also be nice, now that CD support has been dropped in favor of DVD-only, to realize the most current DVD hardware supports D/L and an 8.3GB DVD image could support everything, or more nearly so.

The current DVD image is nowhere near full, Debian Stable's on three DVD images, all over 4 Gbytes.

06:59 [summer@numbat ~]$ lynx -dump ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/iso | egrep Kb
Nov  2 15:05  octet-stream     [2]Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso  3344482Kb
Nov  2 15:05  octet-stream     [3]Fedora-8-i386-rescuecd.iso  105306Kb
07:00 [summer@numbat ~]$

There's space for about another Gbyte.

--

Cheers