Re: VNC Server setup

yonas Abraham wrote:
On 11/12/07, Tom Spec <samag70-ignore@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd like to setup my Fedora 8 machine as a VNC server so I can login to the
Gnome desktop from a Windows XP machine using RealVNC.  Does anyone have a
simple guide for this?  For some reason I can't get it to work. I'm not
looking for anything complicated, I just want this setup for ONE user
(preferably without an additional password in VNC if possible.)

1) do yum innstall vnc-server (if it is not installed yet)
2)edit  /etc/sysconfig/vncservers append/add the following two lines
   2-a)  VNCSERVERS="1:USERNAME"
   2-b) VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1260x1000 "

where USERNAME is the username of the person you want to enable (that
user must have account on that box)
change the geometry to match your screen dimension (like 1024x768 or
800x600 etc)

3) now login as a USERNAME and run vncpasswd (I don't know if you can
have an empty password, this password is a different password that is
used to login the box)
4)run 'service vncserver start'

5)if you want the vnc to always start at boot time do 'chkconfig vncserver on'

6)from windows try to login to vnc

NB. with the exception of step 3, should be run as root.

For your normal desktop you need to modify xstartup as shown by craig white.

And don't forget to open port tcp/5900+displayNo eg tcp/5901 in system-config-firewall.

DaveT.