Re: netstat question - sniff using hub

Ed Greshko wrote:
zephod@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On to my next problem. Why can't this FC6 box see any http traffic from a
Windows Vista box on my local network when it is obviously connecting to
various web sites? I'm using Wireshark and yes, I have opened up the
firewall. I can see ICMP traffic and other protocols from the Windows box
and I can see http traffic from my FC6 box.

Is your FC6 box acting as a router in your network?  Or, are both the
Windows box and FC6 connected to a switch?  If the latter, then don't expect
to see much traffic from the Windows host since a switch prevents that.  You
will a small amount of traffic from the Windows box in the form of
"broadcast" traffic.
You can work around the efficient, learning capability of the switch that stops the sniffing by changing the device to a boring old hub, which blats each incoming packet out all other ports.

That was my reason for keeping mine around.

Also check that you are starting sniffing in promiscuous mode, the default.

You could also set up a third machine with two network cards and configure it as a transparent bridge; with wireshark installed, you can then see all traffic.

DaveT.