Re: how to get an ip address for my Fedora box from Windows

Scott Berry wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a question. How does one retrieve an ip address from a Windows box for a Fedora box. My ip address changed ou me and my router reassigned a new ip address and I don't know what it is how can this info be retrieve with in Windows Vista?
When I'm lazy - I have tried:
a)
1. install wireshark
2. wait until the fedora box tries to talk on the network...
perhaps arp request for the router will be made when the linux machine tries to do some activity like check for updates or try to find zeroconf devices.

b) nmap your subnet perhaps checking for ports you know are open the lost machine.

c) login to your router and find a dhcp clients status page, look for the type of network card ie mac address of the fedora machine.

d) login to router and check the activity logs.

DaveT.