Re: F8 - upgrading may not be impossible

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 05:57 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Antonio wrote:

> >>     Just to let you know, a clean install, not a upgrade was made of F8
> >> on this computer and it was perfect. So the problem you have must be due
> >> to your hardware which is of course different.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >>         Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> >>         Linux User
> >>         #450462   http://counter.li.org.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >  we know that a clean install generally works, but for sure we know
> > that a DVD upgrade has not worked for a single user.....
> >

>     In that case I am glad I didn't try to upgrade since I used the DVD.
> That is a serious problem.
>

> --
>
> 	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> 	Linux User
> 	#450462   http://counter.li.org.

Well, a bit of progress.  It still didn't get past the dependency
checking, but what I did before trying the install (network install
using the boot.iso image, talking to a repository using ftp) again was
run "yum -y update; yum clean all."  On the same system that was stuck
at 26% on a previous attempt I made it all the way to 99%.  I am not
kidding.  I let it sit at 99% for about 3 hours, then decided to chuck
the regular update approach and update via yum.

I'm betting the problem has something to do with old packages not being
removed when we do updates, especially core updates (FC5 to FC6, 6 to 7,
etc.). I ran "rpm -q -a | egrep 'fc[1-7]'" and found all kinds of old
packages still installed (I'm now actually running F8 kernel
2.6.23.1-49.fc8). I didn't need probably 90% of these old packages.  I
had something like over 800 old packages (if I remember right) when I
started to prune the list down.  I still have 59 but they all have
something requiring them.

Maybe doing some package pruning and cleanup prior to the update might
help the update process succeed.  I have one other system to upgrade and
I'm going to use that as a test bed.

-- Mark C, Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution