Re: java plugin

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 14:07 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
<snip...>

> I've slightly revised my procedures now that I have actual F8
> running.  I don't think that nspluginwrapper needs to be removed
> anymore.  I have both icedtea and Sun's Java installed and they both
> work as runtime, compiler and plugin.  I posted the procedure to my
> website;
>
> http://www.knutejohnson/sun-java-on-F8.html
>
> I have not tried this with x86_64 only x86.
>
> Here are the steps for those without browsers :-).
>
> How to get Sun's Java running on Fedora 8
>

> 1)Download the Sun Java Linux RPM from java.sun.com and install it.
>
> 2)Make sure that you have version 1.7+ of the jpackage utilities
> installed, then download and install the JPackage sun-compat RPM
> (this handles your alternatives) from jpackage.org
>
> 	java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586.rpm
>
> 2)Fix the Xinerama bug with
>
> 	sed -i 's/XINERAMA/FAKEEXTN/g'
> /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so
>
> 3)Install a link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped to the java
> plugin link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, that link should have been
> installed when you installed the sun-compat RPM above
>
> 	cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped
> 	ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
> 4)Download and install compat-libstdc++-33
>
> 5)Select the Java version you want with the alternatives program
>
> You will probably see two Java plugins if you check your browser with
> about:plugins.  It seems to work fine.  Use the alternatives program
> to select the appropriate Java installation.
>
> --
> Knute Johnson
> Molon Labe...

Cool!

I'll give this a try with my F8 x86_64 system later today and report
back. Perhaps the Xinerama fix and other bits are the last parts of what
I'll need to finally get Notes 8.0 running too...

Cheers,

Chris

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is.

--Yogi Berra