Re: Fedora 8 Games Spin - Feedback Requested

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:

One of the custom spins of Fedora that didn't get much attention because
of the late addition is the Fedora 8 Games spin. This custom version of
Fedora 8 from the games special interest group in Fedora includes tons
of free and open source Linux games in a installable Live DVD. You can
download it from

http://spins.fedoraproject.org

More information is available at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games/GamesLive

Download and check it out. Any feedback is most welcome.
I didn't really understand this.
Are the games available as RPMs in the normal way?
Yes they are but this is a Live DVD with a lot of games you can try out,
redistribute or install to a hard disk or USB easily.

Sorry, Rahul, I still don't really understand.
Surely if one runs a Live DVD then one is not running Fedora
on the computer proper (ie on the hard disk)
so how do you install one of the games if you like it?

I would have thought a simple DVD with Fedora games on it
would be easier to use.

I mentioned twice already. You can install it to the hard disk if you want to. All the Fedora Live CD/DVD have a install to hard disk icon on the desktop.

I can see that a Live Games DVD would be quite a nice thing
to show a Windows user what you can do in Fedora.
Is that really what it's for?

That's one of the reasons, yes. There are several others like buying out compatible hardware, using it in a gaming stall or conference, showing some Linux games to friends and so on.

Rahul