Re: F8: Gnome goes Windows?

Joe Ventker wrote:
> Starting Gnome as root, a popup-box is displayed, that the current
> session is executed as a priviliged user, asking to continue. Is
> there a way to remove this dummy-feature?
>
> I know that I work as root as long as I login as root.  This
> popup-box bugs me...

It should bug you.  Running an entire desktop environment with root
privileges is a security nightmare.  There is not a good reason for
doing this.  The way to make it go away is to log in as a normal user
and only run as root the programs that need to be run with such
elevated privs.

You will likely run into other issues running as root and you won't
get a lot of help from this list when you do, as using root for your
desktop user is not a well supported or tested (or recommended)
scenario.

> PS: Just to avoid this box, I installed KDE...

It's a bug if KDE doesn't suitably warn you about that.

PS: it's best not to reply to an existing message when you want to
start a new thread.

It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.
    -- Sally Kempton