F8 DVD Issues

The F8 installation DVD doesn't work in my laptop. It boots up and
displays the initial screen of text ("Press enter to begin
installation", etc) but the keyboard doesn't respond. No keys work at
all.

This is exactly the same problem that I had with the F7 installation
DVD. In both cases I ended up doing a "yum upgrade" so now I have an
FC6 system that has had two levels of upgrades. I'd really like to do
a complete fresh installation at some point.

If it helps, the laptop is a Philips Freevents X51 (which is actually
a rebadged Twinhead 12D).

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave..