Re: How is my wireless connecting if I haven't set the WPA on Wireless

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 17:42 -0500, Jacques B. wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 1:54 AM, Ben Kevan <ben.kevan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have never set my WPA Key in any configuration after installing FC8.
> > How the hell is it connecting?
> >
> > This can't be right? Also I don't even have a place to configure my
> > network connections (kde).
> >
> > Ben
> >
> I just installed F8 and the same thing happened to me.  F8 by default
> will automatically connect to the first available wireless network.
> Seems we both have an open network in our neighbourhood.  I've since
> been trying to get it to work with mine but no luck so far.  I don't
> see where I can specify WPA and AES encryption.  I did put in my
> passphrase, the channel, and the SSID.  I'm not in F8 right now so
> can't tell you the error I was getting.  Bottom line it wouldn't
> connect to it but it did connect to an open one when I first
> installed.  So my wireless works with F8.  Just have to get it working
> with WPA.
>
> Any ideas from anyone?
>
> Jacques B.

All wireless keys are kept in your home directory in the .gconf tree.
So if you retained your home directory it would be there.
WPA, etc, encription is specified in nm-appplet under :
Connect to Other Wireless Network.

By the way, in my experience NM connects to the last network connected
to rather than the first one it finds (which in some internal list may
be the same thing).

Swap read error. You lose your mind.

Stinginess with privileges is kindness in disguise. -- Guide to VAX/VMS
Security, Sep. 1984