Re: How to get mail to local destinations delivered?

Tim wrote:
Chris G:
I have tried:-
  chris@localhost
  chris@xxxxxxxxxxx
  chris@[192.168.1.1]
and sendmail tries to send the *all* to the outside world!

Gijs:
You can send root's mail to a user like so (in /etc/aliases):
root: chris

But if you really want mail to get delivered to an emailaddress
without going through the internet, you'll have to setup your own
pop3/imap server, along with corresponding domain-setups (like John
already mentioned before).

Not necessarily...  You can have a mail client directly get mail from
the /var/mail/<username> file, and avoid running a POP or IMAP server.

only if you want to read it on the host where the mail is stored. Some, maybe all, email clients in Fedora can read from /var/mail

You still need to configure sendmail, though, so it understands the
address you're giving root's mail to is for local delivery (sendmail
keeps the mail internal).  To that end, username@localhost ought to work
straight away.  If you had a private domain name for your system, you
can use that, instead.  But you have to set up sendmail to accept that
domain for local delivery.

In the case of my f8 system, I did only what I mentioned in another post.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait