Fedora 8 install gets stuck

I am installing Fedora 8 on a Toshiba Tecra laptop and the installation process gets stuck shortly after the DVD media test. Fedora 7 installed on the same laptop without any difficulties. The media check passes, but the message "IRQ #18 Disabled" appears. Both the graphical and text-mode install have the same issue.

After the media test screen, the installation halts on a blue screen with the title "Welcome to Fedora for i386" which is empty except for some navigation commands on the bottom line of the screen.

By switching to console 3 (ctrl-alt-F3) I can read the INFO messages and the last INFO message displayed is as follows:

<time-stamp> INFO   : modules to insert pcmcia_core H*H****************  pcmcia

(note the '*' characters above actually appear as solid "blocks")

I can switch to console 2 (ctrl-alt-F2) and type shell commands so the computer is not hung, but the installer seems "stuck". When I list the installed modules using "lsmod", the pcmcia modules are not installed. Other driver modules (such as SCSI drivers) appear to have loaded successfully.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
thanks,
Derek