vertical bars over images in firefox

Hi all,

When using firefox since fc6 (I skipped fc5) I've noticed that many images, suchas .swf, now display as a large pair of vertical bars, somewhat simalar to the insignia worn by U.S. Army captains, that may appear alone or on top of some other background.

On really lousy sites where it's flash or nothing or where most of the adverts are flash this is (IMO) just plain ugly and really annoying. It's as if someone is threating "Use flash or else we'll destroy your user experience". If that's the case how about a little CSS ala "body {display: none;}" and we wouldn't have to waste our time on sites like that. <-- me being facetious ;) Whatever happened to "failing gracefully", the mantra of web designers?

Does anybody know where these abuses have come from? Are they from the Mozilla project or is this something peculiar to fedora's spin of firefox or perhaps something peculiar to fedora itself?

Regardless of its origin I would like to stop it. Anybody know how to change this behavior?

Forever indebted to whomever has a solution,
Mike Wright